Wednesday, June 29, 2011

So That's What They Call It





After our sweet Muffin’s arrival there were lots of things that came very natural to us:

Nursing: A choice I made while pregnant. God made our bodies in such a way that everything you need to support your baby’s diet for the first 6 months of life is built right into our design.  A custom tailored, made specifically for your baby, free, and loving way of giving your baby everything it needs.  I made a personal commitment to nurse our Muffin until she hit her first birthday as recommended by the American Association of Pediatrics.

Co-Sleeping:  We do this because, in all honesty, it is just easier!  Waking up every 1 to 2 hours to nurse an infant is very easy when they are right next to you.  This grew into us loving the idea that our kids will know that Mom and Dad’s bed is a safe and comforting place.

Baby Wearing:  I would say that this was mainly started with my paranoia of being a first time Mom.  If we left the house I wanted her in my arms.  I knew she was safe there.  I was/am very protective over her, she’s our baby, that’s our job; it’s what we are here for.  After discovering all of the wonderful bonding that came from wearing her right on my chest I was hooked! (Not to mention my husband who very proudly wears our babe in public!)

I didn’t have a clue what it was called; it was just how we did things.  After connecting with other moms online and a little research, I found out it had a name: Attachment Parenting.

What was a natural way of caring for our new addition was actually a well researched, and proven successful method of parenting.  Not to mention extremely rewarding!


If interested, listed are links that are far better at explaining more of the “in and outs” of attachment parenting.


American Association of Pediatrics:
Overview policy on breastfeeding:
FAQ:

Dr. Sears:
Breastfeeding;
Co-Sleeping:
Baby wearing:
Attachment Parenting:


What attachment parenting is NOT:
(This is a very important read for those new to AP and those who have heard of it but still have conerns)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...