Thursday, May 30, 2013

Adventures in Cloth Diapering: Part Two

I had started our diapering journey during Isabelle's infancy.  Being a babe with extremely sensitive skin we had so many issues with disposable diapers("sposies"). Some brands would make her poor bottom break out in acne almost instantly.  We finally settled on Huggies diapers, pre-fold cloth diapers with diaper pins, and the occasional homemade cloth diaper.
Isabelle in her homemade cloth diaper made by her Mimi (my Mom).
I used the pre-folds for as long as I could bear it, my fear of diaper pins never lessened.  Always so terrified I would actually prick that sweet baby skin I was very hesitant to use pre-folds whenever we left the house.

Isabelle is potty trained now but since Fiona's arrival I had made a commitment to cloth diaper full time and I did so for many reasons:

  1. Fiona is allergic to ALL disposables.
  2. In trying to raise a family as healthy as possible I find it better to stay away from artificial products.
  3. It's better for the environment.  I've read that disposable diapers can last up to 300-500 years in landfills. No thank you.
  4. Saving money.  It's a one time purchase and although it may seem like a lot up front, if you're changing diapers as regularly as you should it's estimated that you can save up to $4800 per child.
  5. They can be used on more than one child.
  6. Cloth diapers are very often sold in gently used condition.  I've joined some cloth diaper swap sites and it's incredible what you can recoup out of diapers once you're done with them.
Fiona had some gastrointestinal issues that required some medicine that would ruin cloth diapers so we had to make due until then.  But, now that we have those issues cleared up we have been in cloth full time!

They are of course more maintenance that sposies, they have very specific methods for care and washing but that's a whole separate post.  I'm fully enjoying all the money we're saving and the idea of never buying another diaper.  But most of all, I love Fiona's perfect, happy, baby bottom.  

Sweet baby Fi, 3 months.

Fiona being super cheesy, 4 months old!




2 comments:

  1. I wish I had the time and patience to cloth diaper! It's so much better and your babes are better for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a kiddo that ate half as many foods as yours does! There is an adjustment period to working the diapers into the laundry routine but now they are incorporated it's just another wash cycle ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...